Soul Mates

A few years ago at a personal transformation workshop, I did an exercise called the Circle of Life.

We were asked to depict the circle of our lives. 

My circle was a happy one with not much hierarchy. Very simply put, my circle depicted just about 7-8 people who made my life meaningful.

When I was told that my circle was quite small and I do not let people into my life easily. I rebelled and said stuff that a non believer would say. I said that I was a very friendly person and got along easily with several people in all spheres of life.

Yes, my phone book is filled with numbers and I cannot even tell you how many groups on whats app I belong to. A picture updated on facebook leads to a flood of hundreds of likes and comments! Of course I like to think that I am popular and people "love"me. 

Few alumni meetings were called, and I did not respond to the invites nor did I attend those gatherings. It caught me thinking and wondering,why did I not feel enthusiastic about meeting my old friends?

That is when I realized that I had been wrong all this while. It had indeed been several years since I made real friends. I have been choosing to act in the capacity of a mute spectator rather than participate in what according to me are "mundane group forwards and conversations" on all social media.

Just when I started to wonder if I was moving into the realm of enjoying solitude better than company of people, a few long lost...and I mean really looooong lost friends reached out and got in touch.

Words cannot do justice to that heady elation I felt at just being able to re connect with these people.

It was so easy. Time, distance, differences, years, misconceptions faded away into oblivion. The vacuum of being cut off made no dent. Memories came alive, as if it were something that had transpired just the previous day.

I am a believer in the concept of"soul mates". There are a few such "mates" in my life, who enrich my life just by their presence. I see the difference in me, when they are around me. I light up, become myself, rather than my "normal" self. Sometimes there is a song in my head, many a time, it is euphoric, several times it is dissent and confrontation too!

The way every experience concludes is just the same.

The joy of feeling complete.

The pure bliss of connecting with someone you love, where "inhibitions" have no place.

These soul mates of mine are a few...yet bring in an abundance and multitude of charm to my life in varied roles and forms. They bring life into my life.

Quoting Richard Bach "“Can miles truly separate you from friends... If you want to be with someone you love, aren't you already there?” 

Well, if like me you have soul mates in your life, reach out and tell them "yes you love them" and are grateful for their presence in your life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rains of wisdom!

Separation Anxiety

NO CHOICE